Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mommy's Here!

My mommy came to visit!

Even though I've been living in the Twilight Zone for about a year and a half now, I still get homesick and always love when my mom comes to visit. Not only do I get a gym partner and a Dancing With the Stars buddy, but for a few days it feels like I'm home (minus my cuddly Teddy...damn this stupid No Dogs Allowed apartment rule!).
How could you say no to this face?

On Monday, I got a 9 miler in before mom came in. Monday's run had some interesting events. First, some idiot cut me off at the turn and I almost took out the fire extinguisher hanging on the wall. Normally, the people at the gym run like they drive, and never look behind them before they change lanes. But this guy did! He totally looked back saw me barreling down and decided he couldn't wait and had to get in front of me.  THEN, the Gum-Chewer, who has always had a big issue with me passing him, showed up. I saw that wild look in his eye when he turned and saw me coming and predictably, he sped up to drag out the inevitable. One of these days I swear I'm going to ask him if its worth it.

So, I did what any normal runner who'd nearly taken out a fire extinguisher would do...I decided to make his life a living hell :-) . You don't want me to pass you? YOU GOT IT! I got into predator mode and quickly matched his speed juuuuuust enough so I was breathing down his neck. I could see his sweat trickling down from exertion. Mwahahahaha! I think he learned his lesson. He gave up his charade after 3/4 of a lap.

Tuesday, mom arrived and our marathon shopping day began. We visited all the stores you can't find in Cleveland (Kroger, Meijer, Home Goods, oh my!). Which we rounded out with the requisite walk to Target (I loooove living within walking distance to the bullseye!) and then heckled Brook Burke on the DWTS Results Show (really, she serves no purpose!).

Can't take her anywhere!

Wednesday was gym time again! I dropped mom off at the stationary bike and headed upstairs for the track. Best run in weeks! My speed came back and I felt like I was back to flying! I'd been a little nervous about how I'd do running two 9 milers with only one day apart. It's the first time I've done this since the reinjury! But, the hip only gave a half-hearted protest when I first started out, and then each time I'd start out after a water break..... And I happily ignored it :-)

Thursday, mom and I rode the stationaries together. The gym was stifling and I had forgotten to switch out my fan batteries! I watched in horror as the little blades slowly crept to a stop. Despite having mom to talk to, it felt like the longest bike ride ever, and my sweat lake under the bike had turned into a small ocean. Ewwwwww.

Trying to out-wit bike solitaire

Now, it's finally the weekend! Hurray! Mom is safely back in Cleveland and I am blearily typing this blog as I wait for the clock to strike 6am so I can make my dining reservations for our next trip to Disney World! Yes, that's right.. I got up before the sun on a Saturday so I could make reservations for a dinner 6 months from now. The things you'll do to have warm, scrumptious pretzel bread and the chocolatey goodness of the 'Smores dessert at Le Cellier in Epcot. Mmmmmmm......

I just drooled on the keyboard

Next week is supposed to be warmer, so I may have to run outside. Not thrilled about that since it means running in a strong head wind half the time, and zero shade. Ah well, at least my running farmer's tan will get worked on!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for a mom visit! I'm glad you enjoy her and how cool she works out with you. Mine used to but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete