Monday, October 15, 2012

Jungle Bird

Running to Cleveland the last 3 weekends put this painting on the back burner for awhile. Then last week I had a sudden realization that the annual Postcards for the Edge auction and the Works on Paper contest are coming up and my freak out began. I don't think I've ever made such fast progress on a painting in my life! Here are the results of my Painting Weekend Extravaganza:


This has a really complicated background that I attempted to sketch out...until my eyes started crossing. I very uneasily decided to wing it instead of driving myself crazy erasing for the next century.


And the above is how far I got before my Cleveland hat trick. I got really sick of seeing this half-painted bird laying around the last 3 weeks.


And now starts all the work I accomplished this weekend...



Surprisingly, the bird ended up being the easiest part! Figuring out the background and mixing the different shades of green made me batty. The Turtle kept asking me if I was ok after hearing me dramatically sigh every 5 minutes. But on the bright side, I'm really improving my 'winging it' skills. Maybe one day I won't need to pencil things on canvas at all anymore (yeah, right).


Geeking out to my Disney playlist (because I'm not excited enough), I finished "Jungle Bird"

"Jungle Bird" - 18" x 24" Acrylic

And I was feeling so inspired when I finished, I hopped over to Michael's to grab some heavy duty paper (and replenish my green paint stock which seems to have mysteriously diminished), and completed my first entry for the WOP Contest! I am on a roll! Pictures of that painting to come!

5 comments:

  1. Looks good...since i am not artistic what-so-ever I love seeing the progression of the painting in pictures...very cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I got the idea from my mom, who loves watching me paint!

      Delete
  2. Not only can I not paint or sketch, I can't even figure out how you picture the background and how everything will go! It looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if I am scared of birds, this is really cool. :)

    ReplyDelete